Sally over at RGBP writes:
As we look back we may come to understand how God has worked in and through us in joy and saddness. how we have grown against what may seem impossible odds. As we look forward we may do so with expectation, and we may do so with fear and trembling. As we look back and forward in New Years liminality I offer you this simple yet I hope profound Friday Five in two parts:
First list five things that you remember/ treasure from 2008
1. Our family trip to Disney World - Three girls, two sets of grandparents, Starman, and me, for a hot week in May. Pure vacation.
2. Preaching the Easter Sunrise service at the cemetery on the hill, sun rising behind me, a foot of snow around me, temperature about 20 degrees F. It was a short sermon, but wow, it was a neat thing to do!
3. Being appointed as a licensed local pastor, same job, different title, and new responsibilities...like the wedding I get to officiate at tomorrow! I am enjoying my new role, and loving my continuing work with Wise Pastor.
4. The Chicago Missions trip we took, my last official duty as Youth Minister to our home congregation. Saw old friends, worked very hard, loved every minute of it.
5. Five days at Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada with Starman. He was at a conference, I joined him. Found out that I can keep myself busy and occupied (doing sermon research and planning while he went to talks) and enjoy myself by myself, even when I don't have three daughters clamoring for my attention! Starman had a bad cold, but was a good sport, hiking up the mountains around the lake together.
Then list five things that you are looking forward to in 2009
1. Continuing to learn and grow as a pastor, hopefully attending some training/continuing ed events (Lectionary Homiletics?).
2. Celebrate 25 years of together-ness with Starman come October. Wow.
3. Enjoy my last days with a preschooler and at the same time look forward to having three girls in school for full days come September
4. Spend some time hiking and enjoying New England this summer.
5. Deepen my relationship with God, continuing to see my spiritual director and journaling and reading more.
Sally also gave us this blessing from the Iona Community that I share here:
We stand to face the future:
God behind us in the past
Christ before us; the way ahead;
Christ beside us in this moment;
Christ beneath us in our weakness;
Christ above to shield us-
beneath the shadow of his wings we are safe;
Christ between us to bind us in the unity of his love;
Christ in us equipping us with his all sufficient grace.
Thus armed and guided, and protected we face the new year.
Now we arise and go forth on the journey before us,
knowing that, where Christ leads, life is a journey home.
Therefore we travel in faith, in hope, and in love,
in the name of the Father/ Mother, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
May the blessing of God
be upon us
all this year
and into eternity. Amen.
I echo that blessing to you all. Sally, thank you for adding this time of reflection to my day!